The Immortality of Garrick

The Immortality of Garrick
David Garrick, the eighteenth-century actor, playwright, and theater manager often credited with Shakespeare's 18th-century revival, is here lauded by a group of 17 actors in their favorite Shakespearean characters, as he is carried to his apotheosis

Friday, May 4, 2012

Michelle Dinh's Final Project

Here's the first four pages from my children's fairy tale version of King Lear. Sorry I could not include the pictures.
 
Page 1
Once upon a time there was a kingdom of magical fruits under the rule of King Pear. King Pear was getting old and he wanted to retire. King Pear had to divide his land into three because he had three daughters. King Pear did not know how much he should give each of his daughters, so he made up a test for them. They each had to tell him how much they love him. The more love they show, the more land they will get.

Page 2
King Pear called his oldest daughter, Princess Grapefruit to speak first.
            “Your Majesty, my love for you is deeper than the chocolate ground and higher than the cotton candy sky,” said Princess Grapefruit.
            “That’s very smart, Princess Grapefruit. I will give you everything from the left edge of the kingdom to the mint forest,” said King Pear.
Princess Grapefruit hurried to tell her husband, Prince Watermelon her good news.

Page 3
Then King Pear called his second daughter, Princess Orange to speak next.
            “Father, I love you more than peanut butter loves jelly and strawberry loves banana,” said Princess Orange.
“That’s very sweet, Princess Orange. I will give you everything from the right edge of the kingdom to the lemonade river.
Princess Orange rushed off to tell her husband, Prince Apple her good news.

Page 4
Finally King Pear called his youngest daughter and his favorite, Princess Tangerine to speak.
            “Daddy, I have nothing to say,” said Princess Tangerine.
            “How can you have nothing to say? If you don’t say anything you will get nothing,” said King Pear.
            “I cannot compare my love to anything like my sisters did,” said Princess Tangerine.
            “I was going to give you everything in between the mint forest and the lemonade river,” said King Pear.
            “I know I love you. I love you as any girl loves her daddy. When I get married I will still love you, but I will also love Prince Mango just as much,” said Princess Tangerine.
            “No, that is not good enough! You will get nothing. Go marry Prince Mango and leave the kingdom,” said King Pear.
            “Yes, sir,” said Princess Tangerine.
            “Your Highness, you should not do this,” said Cherry, the court jester.
            “Be quiet or I will banish you too!” said King Pear.

No comments:

Post a Comment